Boone, North Carolina is a beautiful mountain town with plenty to do and see. Here’s a week-long itinerary with suggestions for where to stay:
Day 1: Arrival and settling in
- Check into your accommodations: While there are many options for places to stay in Boone, including hotels, motels, inns, and vacation rentals, our staff would love to host you here at the Horton Hotel! Located in the heart of King Street, you can check-in and then begin exploring all that our amazing town has to offer.
- Explore downtown Boone: Take a stroll through the charming downtown area, which is home to many locally-owned shops and restaurants.
Day 2: Hiking and Nature
- Grandfather Mountain: Spend the day at Grandfather Mountain, which offers hiking trails, wildlife encounters, and stunning views. The park has a $25 entrance fee for adults, and the trails range from easy to strenuous.
- Linville Falls: Another popular hiking spot is Linville Falls, which features several different trails that lead to stunning views of the waterfall.
Day 3: Local Culture
- Appalachian State University: Visit the Appalachian State University campus, which is located in the heart of Boone. You can take a self-guided tour or schedule a guided tour to learn about the history and culture of the university.
- Horn in the West: In the evening, catch a performance of Horn in the West, an outdoor drama that tells the story of the early settlers of the region.
Day 4: Biking and Breweries
- Virginia Creeper Trail: Rent bikes and take a scenic ride down the Virginia Creeper Trail, a 34-mile trail that starts in Whitetop, Virginia and ends in Abingdon, Virginia. Along the way, stop at some of the many breweries and wineries in the area.
- Appalachian Mountain Brewery: Back in Boone, visit the Appalachian Mountain Brewery, which is known for its craft beers and outdoor seating area.
Day 5: Waterfalls and Scenery
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Take a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which offers stunning views of the Appalachian Mountains. Along the way, stop at some of the many overlooks and hiking trails.
- Waterfall tour: There are several waterfalls in the area that are worth visiting, including Elk River Falls, Crabtree Falls, and Glen Burney Falls.
Day 6: Caving and Shopping
- Linville Caverns: Take a guided tour of Linville Caverns, a series of limestone caverns that are located about 30 minutes from Boone.
- Tanger Outlets: For some retail therapy, visit the Tanger Outlets in Blowing Rock, which features dozens of stores.
Day 7: Departure
- Departure: Spend your last day in Boone relaxing and enjoying the scenery before departing for your next destination.