It’s here! Fri-YAY! You can, of course, reach for your usual cold beer, or pour yourself a glass of wine, but there’s is really no better way to celebrate the weekend than with a cocktail. Our Director of Food & Beverage and cocktail expert Hunter Hallmark listed three – easy! – cocktails that will shake up your Friday afternoon.
Spring Bourbon Smash: southern spirit in a glass
Hunter: “Why this is a good cocktail? Because it’s made with bourbon. Plus, we are using seasonal ingredients that are becoming available with the arrival of spring, like fresh basil leaves and ripe strawberries. By pairing them with a rich southern spirit, as opposed to the typical gin or vodka, this cocktail gets a new depth of flavor.”
For 1 cocktail:
- 4 ripe strawberries (cut into chunks)
- 1/4 oz simple syrup
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz Bourbon
- Splash of sparkling water
How to mix it:
- Grab a rocks glass.
- Smash (or ‘muddle’ in cocktail terms) the strawberries and basil in the bottom of the glass together.
- Put crushed ice on top of the muddled strawberry- basil mix and add the lemon juice, Bourbon, and simple syrup. Stir until combined.
- Top off with a splash of ice cold sparkling water. Enjoy!
Bee’s Knee’s: buzzing with spring ingredients
Hunter: “This drink is light, refreshing and sweet. With a base of honey and lemon, a great floral gin like Hendrick’s offers a nice balance of flavor and embodies that spring is coming.”
- 2 oz dry gin
- 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz limoncello
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Crushed ice
How to shake it:
- Grab any 12 oz glass.
- Combine gin, lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Add a tablespoon of honey, and two sprigs of thyme.
- Add the limoncello and cover all the liquids with ice.
- Cap with a martini shaker and shake vigorously. Strain into a glass… enjoy!
Tajin Michelada: a classic Hispanic cocktail
Hunter: “This is a citrusy cross between a Mexican beer and a Bloody Mary, and is super simple and incredibly delicious. Savory and refreshing at the same time, this drink is perfect for sipping in the afternoon sunshine.”
- 8 oz Negra Modelo beer
- 1oz tequila (preferably: reposado)
- 2 oz Zing Sang Bloody Mix
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Rimmed glass with Tajin Classic Seasoning
How to mix it:
- Rub the lime wedge around the rim of the glass and sprinkle the Tajin seasoning on the rim.
- Pour all the liquid ingredients into your glass.
- Top with ice and give a gentle stir. Drink in the sun!
Cocktails in Boone NC?
When you are looking for a great place to sip a handcrafted cocktail, we would love to see you at the Horton Hotel. In the meantime: take photos of your weekend cocktails and post them with a #thehortonhotel tag and share your favorite springtime beverages!
Author: Sanny Visser